Monday, August 10, 2009

Pink Wedding in a Green Room

Green Room you ask? Yes. The color is...ummmm...an interesting color green. Loved by some, loathed by most. It is what I loving call a retro puke green color. I love the layout of the room, the high ceiling the chandeliers, the view, my God, the view. The color ,however, is a color that you have to work with. When my Hot Pink bride came and inquired about services in the Green Room in San Francisco of course I made myself available. I have wanted to work this venue for quite some time and I was happy to be able to provide color via the flowers to the room.
The Green Room in San Francisco is in the Veterans Building right in back of City Hall. It was originally designed as a lounge for WW1 veterans but now it's used for special events, performances weddings and the occasional photo shoot.
My daughter has her spring concert there every year because the room is right across the hall from the Hearbst Theatre.

Anyhow, when my Hot Pink Bride {who was almost my multicolored bride or actually my Polychromatic a.k.a. Pollyanna Bride} contacted me I was delighted to work with her!
She knew her flowers and as a matter of fact I believe she was trying to DIY her flowers, but realized about 4 weeks before the wedding that was out of the question.

I have had a lot of brides contact me for help on this and for last minute wedding orders because the idea of this seems doable at the time but as the wedding approaches they see that it will be hard to nearly impossible for them to get the look they want and still be sane by the wedding date. It can be done, since I did my own wedding flowers, but ask me again if I would ever do it.
HA!
I have a picture of me in full makeup with my veil on and sweats, WIRING my husbands boutonniere.
I will just fly SPROUT or JANET over here to arrange my flowers for me.{wink}

Ok, sorry for the rants....

{Hot Pink Bride}

Here is the brides and the MOH bouquet.
The bride knew she wanted to brighten up the room and wanted to have flowers that were
really pink with touches of fuchsia and pops of lime.
I used pink esperance roses, bright pink spray roses, hypericum berries, green cymbidiums, Jade roses, and gloriosa lilies.

The grooms boutonniere was matching green cymbidium, hypericum berries,
and pink spray rose.
I delivered these to the groom while my crew went to the Green Room around the corner form the hotel and I must say, this was the calmest groom I have ever seen. Usually there is nervous excitement or chatter or they say they are ok but they keep asking questions or fidgeting, but he was so cool.

The corsages and boutonnieres were simple.
She wanted them bright and colorful so we chose the magenta dendrobiums with green hypericum a simple ribbon loop on the side.


The drive to the venue was short and sweet. I could literally see it from where i was parked to unload the personal flowers. San Francisco's City hall is so beautiful to me. No matter how many times I drive by, especially at night when all the lights are on, I am always in love with this building.

Here is a shot of the Green Room with the chivari chairs lined up ready for the aisle.
The aisle is pretty wide because the tall centerpiece would be placed in the aisle to mark the front, last and middle rows in the pews. Later they would be moved to the high centerpiece.

The chandeliers are my favorite in this room.
I love the crown molding.


So are ya checking out the color of the room? Its like an old pale green with gold accents?
Here is the crew setting up the amber up lights.
The room definitely needed the burst of color. To give it energy, like ADIZAT, said. hehe

The weather and the view were stunning that day.

The centerpiece were tall arrangements in 26 inch tapered vases composed of dahlias in four colors, roses in three shades of hot pink, Jade rose, bells of Ireland, lime spider mums, and some lime kermit mums.



The inside of the tapered vase was a simple design of pink dahlias and spray roses.



The low centerpiece were arranged in a mint julep cup and the dahlias were just so big and juicy it didn't take that many to fill out a nice 10 inch diameter.
Here I used pink dahlias, mauve dahlias, cheery o roses, jade roses, shocking versilias, esperance roses, some dendrobium and cymbidums, pink hydrangeas, kermit mums, and a bit of the bells of Ireland.

We placed a small arrangement at the guest check in table and look at how cute they are with all their pictures.

The tall ceremony sprays were placed at the head of the aisle on two chocolate linen tables.

The third centerpiece were floating dahlias in water with a little bit of the glass rocks provided by the couple.
We were supposed to have three sets of centerpiece but when we arrived on site we learned that the cocktail tables needed arrangements and one of the larger glass bowls was accidentally broken so we ended up using the extra cylinder vases that were on hand and these fishbowls to create 8 extra pieces. Thank God I always bring an extra bucket of Flowers with me for these instances.





These were the cocktail table centerpiece we placed on the outside area
.
The couple had the most darling pictures of themselves as children at every table and these were the perfect size for the tables out there.




How cute right? They had soooo many pictures of themselves at different stages of their childhood and I thought that these two were very much loved by their families as they grew up. I spoke with the grooms mother the morning of the wedding as I delivered the personal flowers and expressed my thoughts on how sweet the bride was and she just lit up and agreed she was the perfect addition to their family. :) *sigh* I love weddings!

So the happy couple are on their Honeymoon now and I can't wait to see the pro pics by Lisa+James photography.

{And they lived happily ever after.....}

5 comments:

Janet said...

Thanks for the shout out Bree! Let me know if you ever need help with an event, I'd love an excuse to visit San Fran for a week!

I actually did my own wedding flowers too, and I wouldn't recommend it. I was a half hour late to my hair appointment. It just gave the whole day a rushed feeling.

I love the flowers that you used for this wedding! All of the pinks and greens make me think of strawberries!

Bree said...

I was making the tall arrangements the day before, stopped to go to the rehearsal dinner, came back and finished the rest of them at 1am, was convinced to go to bed, got up at 7am and went to all my appointments while I trusted all my relatives who have never worked with flowers to transport them! I was stuck making the boutonnieres in my suite and as a result had glue all over my hands!
Good times......so yes, it can be done but I would have rather sipped bubbly and relax than to be racing against the clock.

So next time (2012) I will NOT do my own flowers. =)

Sprout said...

I would gladly be flown out to SF for you! I bet you would be easy to work with.

Did a college friend's wedding out there - worked in her sister's basement with one tiny window and one bare light bulb. Ugh! And she was one of the most difficult brides - walked your whole flower market and didn't like anything!

But the Marin Headlands were pretty and it was the best reception I've ever been to. :-)

Did my own flowers too, for both ceremonies, but I didn't need much, kept it simple. I did, however, freeze my hair flowers in the hotel's mini-fridge! Nice!

RosaB said...

Bree, the tall arrangements look great, yummy colors. Are they the round trays on top of the vase? Do you tape them so they stick or use the floral clay stuff? Or is the weight of the arrangement enough? I am doing some tall arranagments (for the first time)like this but worry about them being too top heavy and the slightest touch of a guest will make them fall. Any advice? thanks!

Bree said...

Sprout~
How can you possibly walk the entire market and not like anything??? That's nuts... The Marin Headlands are beautiful, she must have had awesome pictures.
Oh no! Your poor flowers.:( I once freelanced for this woman that had me come in last minute to make corsages and bout because she had made all 20 of them and her friend that popped by the studio put them away in fridge but put them not only in the wrong fridge, not the flower cooler but the actual company refrigerator, she put them in the freezer and they didn't discover the mistake till the morning of the wedding! DOH!

RosaB~
I used an 8inch Loomey dish and used Stickum to secure them to the top so they wouldn't slide off if the table was bumped. Best advice it to try your mechanics out before hand. Make sure you have strong glass that can stand the weight of the flowers on top. We had a sample arrangement and the glass was a flimsy one from Ross(I always tell my brides not to trust Ross or Marshalls for the tall cylinder vases). We est the flowers on top and as we stood back to critique two minutes in the glass cracked!
So try it out before hand so that you can be comfortable with the mechanics.

You'll do good!